Old 06-08-12, 10:48 AM
SoundsGood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First post, just wanted to say hi and tell you a little about my upcoming tour

Hello BF Touring!

I just signed up to this forum to help me prepare for my first big solo tour I am currently planning. I am hoping to get some advice on my routes, places to visit along the journey, and the best time of the year to be on the road. I have already read a bunch of sticky threads and found so much good info, I lust for more. I love forums for this reason, and can't wait to hear back from ya'll.

Here's a little bit about myself. I live in Austin, Tx. I've been riding for a long time, but never done a tour before. I was a pedicabber here for a few years back in the early 2000's. I've ridden all types of bikes, but these days I mostly commute on my CrossCheck with a rear rack and panniers. I have done a bunch of S24O with a group of friends, usually around 60 miles each way to a campsite. I'm not concerned with riding long distances, a big tour is something that I have been wanting to do for a long time. I love to camp, and have spent many hours in the outdoors.

Here is my current tour plans. I plan on riding from the PNW to Denver, CO. I am not sure yet what direction I will ride, if it will be a one way ride or a big loop starting and ending in Denver. I do not know when the best time to ride through this area is, so I have not yet set a date for my tour. I am still planning the route, but here is what I have so far.

The Pacific Coast route from BC south to Eureka, CA. Then cut over into the Sierra Nevadas and down to Lake Tahoe. From there my route goes East along the Western Express route, with a few trips off the path into the nearby parks. Once entering SW Colorado I will head towards Denver.

I just found out about the Colorado Trail, and it sounds like a great way to get off the roads and enjoy some great divide scenery through Colorado. I do not know if this trail is typically ridden one-way. So I don't know if I should start in Denver and head southwest on the Colorado Trail, then continuing my route across Utah and Nevada and then along the Pacific Coast backwards(north) to the PNW. If I do the route this way, then I might try and plan a continuing route from the PNW back to Denver, perhaps along the Great Divide ACA route. My other option would be to start in Denver and head north along the Great Divide route towards the PNW, then south on the Pacific Coast and East back to Denver along the Western Express and ending on the Colorado Trail back into Denver. A third option would be to take a train from Denver to Seattle and ride down the coast and back to Denver.

I would like information for others who have done these routes before. My concerns are what direction to ride, when to ride, stay on paved roads or plan for some off-road trail rides. If trails are in my route, then I need to build a bike that is off road capable(considering a Surly Troll). If my route is on paved roads the whole time, I might try and use my CrossCheck.

Thanks for taking the time to read this first post. Help me out, let me know how I should seek info on my tour from this forum. I have my rough draft route on Google Maps, should I post a link to it so others can look at it and give me advice?

-SoundsGood