Old 06-09-12, 08:07 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are two reasons cited for travelling north to south on the Pacific Coast route. One is that the prevailing winds are from north to south. I've done the coast twice and my experience bore this out. The other reason is that you get better views of the ocean from the west side of the road. I suppose this is true at times, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. However, if the road is on the edge of a hill or mountain (as this route often is) the uphill side will be on the east. Often that means rock walls or dirt banks that go right to the roadway, with no shoulder and little bailout room if you need it. There are plenty of spots like this in California - not so many in Oregon, if I recall correctly. I think the winds are the biggest factor for me.

I grew up in the Seattle area and know that it can rain up there anytime - and often for extended periods - a week or two. I'd say it rains a little more on the coast than in the Puget Sound region. The months that are most likely rain free are July and August. September has a good chance of being dry also. But plan for rain. There's a good chance you'll get some. If not, happy days!