Old 06-11-12, 03:03 AM
OndrejP_SK

Bikes: 3 x 700c with drops and 2 x 26'' with flats

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring bike build (drop bars & linear pull brakes)

Hi,

In the last couple of months I've been building up this Kona frame as a touring bike. I've tried flat MTB handlebars as well as "butterfly" a.k.a. trekking bars, but I haven't been comfortable with them. The most recent incarnation uses Shimano 105 aero + Tektro crosstop brake levers and V-brakes.

I've been alittle worried how will it work (after reading about the incompatibility of road brake levers and linear pull brakes), but it seems to work just fine. I needed to adjust the cable length just enough to be able to disconnect the brakes and remove the wheel. There are no adjusters on the aero levers or the brake, so the only way of adjusting the lever travel is by the adjusters on the crosstop levers. The lever travel is a little longer than usual on a road bike, but the stopping power is much stronger than the same brakes with MTB brake levers (due to the higher leverage of the road brake levers).

BTW: I've used Shimano 7-speed MTB thumbshifters with stamped mounting braket and bent it slightly open to mount on 24mm road handlebars. (the XT thumbshifters use aluminium bracket). The cassette is 8-speed 11-28. Paired with 22-36-44 chainrings, this gives me 20-100 gearinches and reasonable steps, while still using the cheaper and more durable 8-speed parts. Most of the time I'll be in he middle chainring. With the stock 32t I would be using too small rear sprockets. Moreover the 36+44 combination works like something like "1 and a half step". (simulation in Mike Sherman's gear calculator)

Last edited by OndrejP_SK; 06-11-12 at 06:46 AM.