Old 06-11-12, 06:26 AM
obscuredavid

Bikes: Giant Escape M0, Dawes Super Galaxy, Dahon Helios 8 folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Tour De France

Having managed to persuade my employer to manage without me at the end of February (at the age of 58.5), I was able to find more time for cycling, despite other commitments. So I moved from essentially short commutes (maybe 25 miles/week total) to wind up to more like 120 miles/week over two or three months.

I was mainly riding on the flat (not all that easy to find around wher I live in Sheffield, UK), doing 20 or 30 miles at a time, without any luggage.

Towards the end of May, I got a bus from near where I live to Bayonne, in SW France, with the intention to cycle back to England. I wasn't sure exactly how far it was, or how many miles I'd be able to do each day, so couldn't really estimate how long it would take. I was guessing 5 or 6 weeks from Bayonne to Calais.

I was impressed with myself that I managed, with about 40lbs of luggage (including camping gear) an average of 54 miles (87km) every day for 14 days. Min 46 miles (74km), max 64 miles (104km). Average speed a little under 10mph. This was despite what I think of very high temperatures on some days - 33C/91.4F - way more than I'm used to in the UK. I camped every night excpet 3 (one stayed with friends, two hotels).

When the weather turned very wet and windy in northern France, I happened to be near Caen so I caught a ferry to Portsmouth rather than slog through thunderstorms to Calais.

Looking forward to the next journey.

More (including pictures) at donabif.blogspot.com

David