Old 06-12-12, 06:08 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sure SoundsGood. That's a pretty-much exact route. If you don't mind riding some dirt (rideable on road touring bike) I would modify it from Gunnison go north towards Crested Butte but turn off at Altamont and take Taylor Canyon / Cottonwood Pass to Buena Vista. Nicer than Monarch Pass, a lot less cars, and you avoid the boring 285 section.

I hear there is a better way between Durango and Bayfield than Hwy 160, that would be very worth finding out about, as that section is pretty busy.

I added that loop south of Idaho Springs, which is a big climb & descent up Sqaw/Juniper Pass - because it's cool - but you can certainly take some pretty-nice frontage roads on the north side of I70 to avoid about 4000' of climbing.

There are lots of other ways to get across CO if there are particular places you want to check out. This one is fairly direct and takes you through some nice places where you'll feel like you are in the mountains. If you have extra time, there are more indirect routes with even more mountains