Old 06-16-12, 03:10 PM
Bozeorbust

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tuscan bike tour (access on to Camp Darby military base needed)

I just completed my 3rd Tuscan Bike ride put together by the staff at Camp Darby Italy. This is a U.S. military base that is situated just outside of Pisa. (The bus ride to base is $10.) The 5 day ride covered 500 Km which averaged 60 miles a day. From the base the van supported ride directs you and carries your luggage and supplies (and tired riders) to Lucca, Montecatini, Greve, Sienna, Montalcino, Voltera, and back to base on one large loop through and around Tuscany. The riding was fun work rewarded with excellent food and wine in 3-4 star accomodations. The tour cost $750 including hotel, breakfast, lunch, and van support. I think I would have spent that much on food and wine alone had I done a trip like this on my own. If you have access or know of someone who has access to military facilities, you may like to check this out. Here is an article from their ride last fall: http://www.usag.livorno.army.mil/News322.asp. For more information contact Robert Collodi at robert.m.collodi.naf@mail.mil. He was able to help me in getting an excellent rental bike fitted to the measurements of my bike so renting was far better than taking my own bike from Montana.