Old 06-18-12, 12:26 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Also, that turn around a cement pole does not seem like a very good idea. Someone is going to clip that pole with a catastrophic result. Why don't thedefine the turn with cones some distance out from the pole?
Agreed about the impending catastrophe, disagree about moving the cone. Some numbnut will try and cut to the inside. I'd add a second cone to space it out, or a hay bale or two, which is more appropriate anyway.

OP, thanks for the update.

So it seems to me that your sphere is too big. You are OK in road races where things tend to string out more, and the field breaks up into groups. You probably haven't had any results in crits because you are afraid of going high speeds through corners in close quarters, and don't like big field sprints. Am I correct?

If so, work on your sphere first. Before you can work on gaps and being in the wind less, you have to be able to put yourself into shelter without freaking out. All the basics apply. Look several riders up the road. Be ready to jog smoothly left or right as the pace eases, don't automatically hit your brakes. For your next race, tell your teammates that you'll do the same thing as last race, but you're going to the front with 3 to go, hitting the gas with 2 to go, and you are going to suffer to the line. For the rest of the race, I'd like to see you work on your sphere and your pack skills. Forget about the race, your teammates, your goals and objectives until 3 to go. Work on anticipating the surges, fighting for wheels, asserting yourself, instead of letting the field dictate where you are, where you're going, and how hard you're riding.

Good luck. I'm looking forward to your next video.