View Single Post
Old 06-18-12, 04:50 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The really quick first ride (truncated by yet another Rubino Pro flat) report.

First, I have to correct my initial post. They're laced up with DT Competition spokes (double butted, 2.0/1.8) not the straight gauge Champions. I have no idea why I wrote that. My decission to try DB all the way around was based on the general reports from several reputable sources (Zinn, etc.) that their use results in a "more durable" wheel over the long haul. Triple butted spokes like the Alpine III's were ruled out because of inability to get them in the necessary lengths, even from souces like SJS in the UK. The DeepV rear that I built up in March used straight gauge Champions on the DS and double butted Comps on the NDS. I can report that there is noticably less spoke wide up with the straight gauge spokes.

While building the 585's I employed the use of an old pair of slip joint pliers, whose serated jaws are worn sufficiently smooth as to not pose a threat to the spokes, to hold each spoke just below the nipple and performed all adjustments with a screw driver. This definately eliminated wind up and eased getting tensions balanced.

So, I clipped in, put my weight on the pedal and rolled out, down the drive. During the first revolution of the wheels there was a grand total of 2 "ting's". That was it. And, they were small ones. A couple km into the ride, the first seated hill resulted in one additional "ting". A few more km into the ride and two hills later there is a "test" hill that I do repeats on. Standing and maintaining 80+rpm resulted in no new sounds, what so ever. In contrast, I am accustomed to wheels from the shop sounding like a bell chorus as the spokes settle over the first several revolutions.

Overall, they feel stiff, as expected. They feel somewhat different to the rear DeepV/front Open Pro that I was riding. But, I can't really put a finger on it. It was a short ride (only 16k), but on very familliar tarmac. If I had to describe the feeling I would say they felt laterally stiff, but, vertically somehow more compliant or lighter. I'll report back after a few more km.

The rear rim joint. Something is/was up with it. On initial braking I was getting a definate catch at that point. It did however disappear by the third hill. I've made sure that the pads are properly positioned and not running off the top of the rim, where the joint weld is no longer machined. Not sure about this. I'll keep an eye on it.

With the exception of my crap tires. Have I mentioned that I loathe Vittoria Rubino Pros? (I have no idea how they've gotten a decent reputation) I'm happy with how the wheels feel.

I'll report back in a few hundred km with an update.