View Single Post
Old 06-18-12, 07:10 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I read an article yesterday that said hyperthermia removes your DESIRE to exercise... so it's a sort of mental thing. I think its when your core temperature hits 103 or something. Acclimatizing yourself helps maintain your core lower, proper hydration as well, but I was a little surprised by the conclusion that you don't lack the strength to continue, it's the willpower. I don't think they were suggesting a dose of HTFU or anything, more of an awareness so you can manage your temperature. I had to take a short break in the shade on Saturday when I went out too, I was riding in the 90s in direct sun for 5 hours. Hawt.

You also lose 50% of your body heat through your head, so maybe there is something to be said for pouring water on your head when it's hot.
Funny thing, but it is a myth that you lose half or more of your body heat through your head. You lose heat through your head the same as any other part of your body. http://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.co...ugh-your-head/