Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'll throw in my suggestion.

Now I've seen this hundreds of times with clydes on organized rides. The clyde can be a bit self conscious about not climbing at skinny speeds so he tends to show off on the downhill sections of a ride, any downhill that he meets. This is a big mistake IMO! Even on short climbs, the clyde will be passed bu tother riders. DON"t fal into the trap of feelign you have to prove your clyde self by passing the skinnies on the downhill section. Don't feel humbled. The guys that are passing you are more than likey strong riders, so the clyde must use his brain. I've had a ton of clydes (see what I did there?) feel that they need to pass me on a downhill after I pass them on an uphill. Even on the gentle, I mean gentle rollers of our bike trail. I pass a bigger clyde so he feel he must return the favor on the dh. Mistake!

Soon he fades even after the most gentle hill kills him. On a ride where a clyde has a disadvantage, he must ride smart. Let the skinnky fudgers go! They are too strong and odds are you will kill yourself then fade like old jeans.

Save your energy for the short climbs, big climbs. Who gives a rat's butt that you can pass people on the dh. save the energy, soft pedal on the way down, coast, recuperate! Then use the evergy for the ups. The name of the game is to do well in the war, not the battle. Your overall time is what counts.

You must look at the big picture, how long will the ride take you? The big picture is not " I passed that dude on the downhill" because he just may smoke your arse in the big picture.

The big picture goal is to be consistent and use a steady energy output throught out the ride. Save on the dh!

I've had a ton of riders kil me on 1 mile hills, 5 mile hills, 10 mile hills, but in the long run, 100 miles, I just might beat you cause I was consistent througout. I did not burn myself out trying to race others early on. I did not waste energy trying to prove myself to others.

My advice, conserve on the dh sections, let faster riders go. If they aren't faster, you'll pass them later. If you dont then they were just overalll faster riders. Don't let other riders draw you into a losing game plan. Ride smart, conserve on easy sections, apply that to the tough!