Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JakiChan
Valve stem. Do you call it something different on a bike? The part that sticks out and you put the air into it.
I figured you meant valve stem when you said "rear, brake, wheel, brakes"

If the wheel is rubbing near the valve stem, your wheel is prolly out of true (not straight). It needs to be straightened.

The few times I have trued a wheel on the bike I hear the brakes somewhat moan when the rim rubs against the brake pad. It does it in one direction but not the other so I see why it might only do it when rolling backward....on a truing stand you do not hear the moan, only a scrape as the feelers on the truing stand are metal (mine anyway). On the brakes, it is a big rubber thingy that rubs the rim, that is where the moan comes from.

Take it to the shop and ask them to "true" the rim. Also ask them to adjust (if needed) the tension on the spokes. If the spokes on the wheel are lacking proper tension, the wheel will continue to go out of true (go crooked).

------------------

Another thing, the brakes are set "toe in". This elimates the squeal noise while braking. So if you roll it backward, of course it will make noise as the brakes should be set to eliminate noise in the opposite direction.

But again, if it only rubs near the valve stem, the wheel is crooked.

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 06-23-12 at 01:17 PM.