Old 06-24-12, 10:17 PM
focusneon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A1penguin, thanks for all the great tips on what gear i should begin thinking about. I went for a very short ride today, just around the neighborhood. I am more out of shape than i thought! My thighs felt the burn on some of the uphills that we have in the neighborhood. Yes, i had to use the granny gear, but i don't mind, since i am one! . The ride didn't change my opinion about the seat... That definitely is going bye bye. But i plan on riding every day that i can so i can get stronger and go for longer rides. But the bike rides so nicely on the street that i enjoyed myself, even with the burn.

I ordered a Bern helmet, one of those that looks more like a skateboarding helmet. I just like the extra coverage, and since i have a big head, regular bike helmets always sit funny. It should be here by Wednesday. The LBS included a bottle cage and bottle with the purchase, so that's covered. I will be moving the fenders from my Raleigh over this week (i am actually fairly handy with a wrench- you have to be when you own older motorcycles) . I have an old underseat storage pouch... I just need to get the items you mentioned to go in it. And probably take a lesson on how to change a flat bicycle tire too.

I rode in regular shorts today and found out why people wear bike shorts- as I pedaled, they kept creeping up the inside of my thighs and i had to keep tugging them down! While i am not yet prepared to expose the world to my fat a$$ in bike shorts (giggle-no on wants to see all that!) i will have to look into some solution to that issue.

I can't really tell you all how hopeful i am that this will be the impetus for taking my weight loss up a notch. I'd really like to be down to 200 by September, and if i can commit to riding every day, even if just the little trip like i took today, maybe i will be able to accomplish that goal. Maybe by next summer, i will even (gulp) try biking shorts! Thanks again.