View Single Post
Old 06-25-12, 01:18 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 2,501 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Despite the seriousness of this post, in the spirit of BikeForums "But how's the bike?" mentality, I will report that his bike is only minimally damaged, a bit beat up around the left shifter.
Dan: Just to be safe, please get your frame checked by a pro who knows what to look for. It's way too easy for any frame of any material to get small cracks that are not obvious in a serious crash (I know this from hard-earned personal experience - a frame died with a really big crack in the bottom bracket - the only reasonable explanation for it is that it started as a very small crack in crash two or three years earlier). You do not want to ride a CF frame that has even a little bit of damage to the fibers. I know we kid you all the time about CF spontaneously combusting, and it is all in fun, but it is true that when CF fails, it fails "right now" and catastrophically. Let's not have this crash sowing the seeds of another one down the road.