Old 06-28-12, 07:50 AM
joejeweler
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mechBgon
I'll give you a handy tip: go to Google and search for site:shimano.com ev [part number]. If Shimano ever had the part's Exploded View posted, you will probably find it this way as a PDF file. Substitute si for ev and you'll get the Service Instructions.

I think if you look around, you'll find Shimano has more of their tech documentation online than any of their competitors. So if you're not satisfied with Shimano's approach, it's unlikely you'll be happy with any alternatives either. When the time does come to replace drivetrain parts, I'd suggest the Salsa aluminum chainrings (nice 7075 aluminum) and changing the rear hub to a 7-speed Hyperglide setup, then tracking down a set of 7sp XT or Deore thumbshifters (or at least the right side). Then you'll be on a sustainable platform.
Thanks for the tips for part substitutions and future running as parts wear out,.....

Not sure how useful the link will be IF you don't know the part number you're looking for??? But i'll work on it and see.

.....but i can't tell you how frustrating it was to go to the manufacturer's website and see all the wonderfully clear and detailed schematics of much of their line,.......and NOT find the one you need!