View Single Post
Old 06-28-12, 09:15 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
I don't currently own a laptop at all. So I need a new one.
My desktop is more than adequate for my use, but I can't take it abroad with me. I'm going to give it to my dad and probably split the cost with him.

I'm looking at the smaller screens for portability issues and better battery life. I guess the cons of the i7 are more battery draw and the same applies to the 7200 drive.

I do some image editing, music production, and gaming on the laptop, but the gaming is minimal. No real video editing or anything.

And yeah, I'm not looking for the newest bestest thing. I just want something that I can carry around and use around town without it being too big to be portable, which is why the 14 inch screen is appealing. Just trying to weigh the costs.

Putting a 9 cell on the 14 inch would probably add a ton of juice/time.

I am going to be using it when I travel for work and it's going to be my main pc for a bit. I guess the bigger screen would be helpful for the latter.

Thanks for the advice on the backlit keys. I don't think it's worth the 40 bucks. Or the 'sound upgrade' whatever.

Originally Posted by jwible
RTC are you looking for a laptop to take to Ethiopia with you? If so I'd look for durability, battery life, and weight as primary considerations over speed. Shoot for a processor / graphics combo that meets 90% of your needs. Also don't forget universal power adapters. I don't know if you are going to be in an urban area or heading out to very remote places, but a small solar charger may be of benefit. And if you're really heading out in the sticks for long periods of time get a sat phone or even better, a ham radio.

KK4JXO --> new dork station license.

Yeah, I really like my dell xps desktop.
I think I'll swing for the 15 inch with the bigger battery. It has a dedicated 1gb graphics card, the i5 is fine and has less power draw than the i7 (which is a lot more $$$). Should end up in the mid 700's. Reasonable!

Last edited by ridethecliche; 06-28-12 at 09:42 AM.