froging
Fully Relying On God

Bikes: Schwinn Skyliner Comfort Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andikat
Thanks for all the good advice. I am just trying to get restarted biking and choosing a new bike. I'm turning 55 this week and am a recreational rider on a bike someone else purchased for me 10 years ago. I'm not comfortable on it, so will be purchasing one myself soon. I'm really looking forward to getting back out there and increasing my activity. I have looked on the clydedale.athena thread for advice on purchasing for a heavy rider but not getting too much definitively. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Me I ride a Schwinn cruiser bike I have fallen a few times in mud on ice Yeah I ride in the snow, even fell in a mud puddle on the way to work. I was 197 lbs now 175 lbs trying to hit 158 lbs I'm 56 and started riding again after age 16 at 53 when I started posting in here. Just get out there and do it. I wasn't OK with riding I just got on it wiggled down the street left to right right to left sure drivers thought I was drunk, LOL looking back now wish I was LOL. We (me included) come up with all kinds of reasons not to start. "I'm too fat the bike will break in half, I'm too skinny the wind will knock me over, or I'm fit and trim and don't need to ride I will lose my great shape, the bike is too old, it's too new, or the breaks don't work the tire is worn, or it don't have a horn. Just get on it and ride. Lower the seat, get some different, tires, change the handle bars, take it with you to your local bike shop ask them how can I make this bike fit me.

I bought my bike at a pawn shop then took it to Performance Bike in Redmond WA. They re-sized it for me did maintenance on it and didn't even charge me cause they do warranty work for Schwinn. Every time I have had work done on my bike it has been 1/4 to 1/2 of the quote they give me to get it fixed.

I think it maybe that the bike is old I'm old and old things go good together like peanut butter and jelly.

Last edited by froging; 06-28-12 at 01:31 PM. Reason: had the word mike instead of bike LOL spell check sucks