View Single Post
Old 06-30-12, 07:38 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by mtmann
I just picked this Cyclepro Rendezvous hybrid up from the local CL. $50, and the seller threw in a second 26" wheelset - apparently when she bought them she thought they would fit. They don't, so they were in brand new condition, with new tires. I flipped them for $30, and the buyer didn't want the new 7-speed cassette, so I have an extra one and I'm in for a total of $20 now.

It's all Suntour, and checking the dates on the Vintage Trek site, looks like this bike is a 1990 model. Lugged frame says Made in USA. From doing a little poking around, I suspect it was part of the U.S. Derby factory output (Raleigh) in Kent, WA. Derby bught Nishiki, Univega, and some others I think, right about this time. I suspect that if I could find a 1990 Raleigh catalog, I'd find a bike that looks a lot like this one. A couple unusual features: It's got downtube braze-ons so could theoretically take DT shifters. The rear dropouts are also threaded for adjustment screws, though no screws are on there. The seat stay bridge has a recessed brake mount hole so it could take a sidepull brake. And oddest of all, the indents on the inside of the chainstays don't line up with the 700c wheels, but are closer to the dropouts, almost like the chainstays were designed for 26" wheels. All in all, it looks like someone in the home office said "quick! we need to get a hybrid out there, now!" so they just grabbed whatever tubes they had lying around that would work for a sort of mountain, sort of road bike, and slapped it together. Overall not too bad looking.
I somehow missed this one. I hope you repost lots of big pic's when you've cleaned it up coz I like it and keep those tires with the bike they look the goods on a retro bike.