Old 07-02-12, 07:10 PM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Miyata 1000LT that I got the other day (saved from being thrown in the garbage ), I thought it was about a 1992-1993 era model, however the colour was throwing me off since it seemed to match the 1994 edition in the catalogs.
Closer inspection of the catalog from 1994 however shows that Miyata used a Deore LX group, not the DX, and the stock rear rack (still on it) is a different model.
I have found photos online of what appears to be the exact same model, with the same colouring, decals and stock parts that specify it is a 1990 model - this goes along with the Shimano date stamps that indicate the parts where made in the fall of 1989... So, unless there's a Miyata expert around that can indicate otherwise - I'm fairly confident now that it is from 1990, even though it is not pictured in the 1990 catalog.

It was covered in dirt and spiders when I got it and the seat, tires and grips where literally rotting off of it:

It appears to have all of the original components - Shimano Deore DX grouping, MT-60 Biopace, etc.
I've cleaned it up and replaced the consumables in this photo (brake pads, all cables, chain, grips, tires, etc.) but I've also replaced the brake levers with some Tektro levers because I prefer to route the brake cables under the wrapping.

It needs a new cassette and possibly new sprockets on the crank and a little more detailing, but this is how it looked after about 12 hours of work:

I should have waited to post these until I finished cleaning it up. I have since replaced the cassette and started to clean and polish all of the bare metal parts back to their original shine... I'll post the completed product when it sparkles like near-new.
This bicycle is easily the nicest and lightest one I have ever owned, I couldn't help showing it off. This is going to be a great summer with this treasure to ride around on!

Last edited by Novakane; 07-04-12 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Finally figured out the correct manufacturing date of the bike...