View Single Post
Old 07-04-12, 01:05 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by rentilrebo
I am upgrading my DIY road bike with new Shimano parts when I can and the next part I'm looking at is a new crankset. My question is can I use any crankset on my road bike as long as it's triple? Can I use a mountain bike crankset on a road bike?
Yes, if other factors are matched, but there are complications.

You'll need a matching BB compatible with your crankset. You'll want to match the number of speeds closely because it affects chainring separation, so, for example a 10s chain might snag between the rings when shifting on an 8s mtn crankset. Then you'll definitely want a mtn front derailleur, since the typical road derailleur cage won't go low to clear the chain on the granny. That means that if you have index front shifting, you have to make sure the pull, or cable response ratio is the same (usually is if you stay within the same brand) and that the left shifter has 3 positions. Lastly, the RD has to have enough chain take up capacity for the wider spacing of your new chainrings.

Now if this is part of a long term conversion, you can start with the crankset, and maybe BB, but not using the granny, until other parts are changed to make it fully compatible.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.