Old 07-05-12, 09:38 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by AZORCH
I've got a Carradice bag that I think is the same as the one you posted. It came to me through one of the folks on the CR list; he thought it dated to the 1950's, but to be honest I really haven't followed up on it.

Other than cleaning it up, I've done nothing to the bag. I had considered getting it waxed, but there's really no reason to do that. I use it to carry some fairly bulky loads.
What a gorgeous bag!! Thank you so much for posting those pics. I think it's older than the Leeds Road one of mine because of the leather straps going all the way up, while mine has a gap, as well as it simply 'looking' older. Any badge? The name of the road will tell you the period it was made in.

Has yours had any work done on it, like the pocket lids retrimming?

I've just had another look at Steve Griffith's article on Carradice on Classic Lightweights. There's a little advert about halfway down the page from the 1936 catalogue which shows a bag that looks like it has the same straps as yours. I wouldn't be surprised if your bag was pre-war. How nice! I've also realised that the bag I thought was 'to around 1985' can't actually have been made after 1979, as that's when the factory moved out of North Street, which is the works address on the label. Good article, that!

Last edited by Dawes-man; 07-05-12 at 09:43 AM.