Old 07-05-12, 04:11 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As you know from the initial endeavor, there are a lot of "tweener" bikes that combine some of these features, oftan in ways that are possible to pin down in terms of specific "years." I've seen many bikes of which that is true, and owned two: a '71 Super with the club in the fork crown but with "Playing Card" graphics and a clamp-on bottom-bracket cable guide. That bike now belongs to Colorado Dale. I currently have another with porta catena holes in the DO's, but built to take non-allen-key brakes, suggesting that at least some frames were built with non-recessed brakes circa '78 or later.
I don't think any of this detracts from the original timeline, but simply suggests that the transition between features didn't happen of a piece or comform to "model year" parameters.
Edit: to say the timeline appears to have caught up with my ex-'71. Might be worth mentioning that '71's generally have clamp-on BB cable guides, and '72's do not.