Old 07-06-12, 04:16 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Depends on how dirty the job is but preventing contact with solvents and chemicals will save you a lot of grief in the long run... I also carry a pair of nitrile gloves in my bike's tool kit and several pairs in my car's tool and first aid kits.

Avoid latex as too many people have allergies to this and a latex allergy can manifest itself from out of nowhere... if you are gloving up because of a first aid emergency the person you may be treating may be more at risk from the latex glove than their injuries. This happened to me once where a contractor had an accident and had I touched him with latex instead of nitrile gloves we would have been dealing with a small head injury and anaphylactic shock. Conversely... gloves may protect you from any diseases the victim may be carrying with them.

My wife carries an epi pen due to her reaction to latex which developed after too much time spent in hospitals dealing with cancer when she was younger... this type of exposure and allergy / reaction is very common among those who have spent long periods in hospitals and who have been exposed to latex before nitrile became the standard for most medical providers.