View Single Post
Old 07-07-12, 02:45 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
243 doesn't seem like much but the 727 just might explain the broken frames. It only takes a second
Um... no.

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
What's really funny is that my buddy did the climb with me, his time 2 seconds better than mine but he weighs 90 lbs less than me but his power on the same ride, same day shows spikes at 1100 watts!
Correct. I routinely get spikes at 1100+ in local races. In fact, I easily get 600+ spikes starting from red lights.

Also, if you don't have a power meter, the accuracy of the data can't be trusted. That said, could you have hit 700W+? Yep. I'd guess easily, too.

Originally Posted by Mithrandir
Strava's power estimates are not going to be accurate unless you have a power meter. The best they can do is calculate based on your weight, speed, and elevation gain; if you've ever paid attention to how garmin's report elevation gain you'll notice that it tends to stay steady even if you're climbing, then jump up all at once. That will give the impression that you magically climbed a much steeper hill than you really did, and thus exerted more watts at max power.

That being said, 750 isn't out of the range of realism. Pro sprinters can top 1200 watts on carbon frames with no problems.
+1 Pro sprinters hit much more than that. I'm a lowly Cat 3 and can top 1200W.

Originally Posted by chefisaac
I have heard several times that Strava is not accurate. Check out the 41 section! It is compared to the calorie burns on a tredmill. Highly over estimated. Think about it!
+1