Old 07-09-12, 02:34 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Odds are your derailleur needs a simple adjustment to correct the trim (centering under each sprocket). This is done by ahdusting the cable length (others call it the tension) using the threaded adjuster where the housing ends on the top of the derailleur. There are a number of decent tutorials that cover this and other derailleur adjustments. Do a search for something like "how to adjust rear derailleur".

I'm not a big believer in upgrades to bikes until/unless you have a specific need, such as a worn or broken part, or a specific want for a change, ie tires more suited to your riding conditions, or a more comfortable saddle.

I may be extreme in this, but in 45+ years and over 100k miles on various bikes, I've never found the need to upgrade working parts. But with my mileage things do wear out,and I use that opportunity to make a change.

If there's something specific that irks you, go ahead and replace it, otherwise save your dough to replace and upgrade as circumstances dictate.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.