View Single Post
Old 07-09-12, 06:49 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexican Street Dog
Thanks you guys, is there a tutorial on how to repack them without ruining them? And how does one go about converting them to LED? I am electrically challenged.
On the former question, I think there's something on Sheldon Brown's website, and an ancient Sturmey Archer manual is here. The dynamo unit is held into the hub by four long bolts with nuts that are easy to lose, so be careful there. Take them off and the whole dynamo unit --armature and magnet together-- will drop out. Don't separate them; but don't worry, they won't separate unless you actually try to separate them, which we will assume you won't do.

On the latter question, you don't have to do anything to the hub; it's the lights. I've converted a couple myself; I described the process in this post with a little more detail here. People have been bugging me to do a better writeup but frankly you're better off searching for posts by forum member 'minisystem' who knows this stuff way better than I do.

Last edited by rhm; 07-09-12 at 06:50 PM. Reason: duplicate post. I don't know how or why. So solly.