SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The High Price of Drop Handlebars

Though my interest in the fixie/single bicycle has has risen since summer of 2010, it has just recently peaked within the last few months. Thus far I have limited my single speed interest to certain bicycle websites, bicycle catalogues, and visits to bicycle shops. However, in my single speed research, I happened to notice that given practically the same bicycle frame geometry and material, the price may vary depending upon whether the bicycle has a drop handlebar or not. So, if you want a regular conventional fixie or single speed, that generally comes with flat or riser handlebars, it will cost less than just about any Track bike produced by the same bicycle company. That's because Track bikes come with drop handlebars!

The Felt Brougham (flat) ~ $550

*The Felt TK 4130 ~ $770

This same trend goes for the Raleigh Back Alley (flat) vs the *Rush Hour. It also goes for the Jamis Beatnik (flat) vs. the *Sputnik.

I then revisited older thoughts about how entry level road bikes generally cost more than entry level hybrids. Why is that you say? Well quite obviously, it's the drop handlebars! There's something magically amazing about drop handlebars. As soon as you attach them to a bicycle frame, suddenly the bicycle price spikes to some disproportionate height, that it becomes entirely too difficult to rationalize.

What's up with the drop handlebars?

Raleigh

Back Alley ~ $550

*Rush Hour ~ $770

Jamis

Beatnik ~ $425

*Sputnik ~ $700

KHS

Urban Soul ~ $400

*Flite 100 ~ $650

* Means drop handlebars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BROUGHAM_RED_2012_SMALL.jpg (59.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by SlimRider; 07-11-12 at 09:39 AM.