View Single Post
Old 07-11-12, 12:07 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
On the cassette--Instead of a pipe cleaner use Sisal string to get down between the sprockets. Cheaper and does it easier and quicker. Chain and although I now use quicklinks- The Chain cleaning tools do it better as the brushes wipe the sidelinks and well. Chain cleaner fluid can be expensive and I use a Truck Traffic film remover at about 5% solution. Final wash on this is a methanol based cleaner as it evaporates quickly and removes water. BUT- not all of us can get this easily or economically so Clothes washing liquid at the same solution works and back to the WD40 for the final wash.

CF frames and well painted ally or steel and household furniture spray polish to get that final lustre. That is cheap in our household as the wife always has a tin in the cupboard. Lubricating inner cables and I use "Dry" chain lube. In fact for all friction areas on brakes and gears I use the Dry lube.

Not too fussed about keeping the bike immaculate but after any ride I check the bike over and this is done by wiping the frame with a cloth and tyres with a damp cloth. This way you can find any damage to the tyres or frayed cables etc and have time to repair before next ride.

Spike Milligan