View Single Post
Old 07-14-12, 01:31 PM
leaping_gnome

Bikes: 1975 Eisentraut Ltd, 1995 Trek 7000 MTB, 2007 Masi Vincere, 1974 Masi GC, 1981 Specialized Allez, 1984 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I Don't Get It - Is This a Scam?

Wow - I just don't get it

I recently sold a very nice bike on ebay. There were many questions from bidders that I answered promptly and posted on the listing, none from the winning bidder. The winner (has 100+ positive feedback) paid promptly with no communication. I carefully packed and shipped the bike, including all original parts and all the items listed, and I sent the new owner a message congratulating his winning bid and letting him know personally when to expect the delivery. I verified the reception of the shipment through tracking and waited for feedback. There was no response within a day so I just decided that the new owner had other priorities, so I posted a favorable feedback, job done. Or so I thought.

After the feedback was posted I received a terse message from the buyer saying that I had neglected to send him a very important piece of the advertised listing - the kickstand. I didn't mention a kickstand in the listing, and I replied in a genuinely courteous manner that the bike did not come with a kickstand, and none was listed. (It did go with a Flickstand!). I received another terse reply saying that I had implied that the kickstand was included because it was featured prominently in the photos with no disclaimers. I now understand that he is referring to the "show stand" that hooks over the downtube and saddles under the bottom bracket to create a tripod support for display and photos.

I guess I'm glad I did not prop my bike against my car for photos, because by the same reasoning I would owe him my car.

So my question - has anybody had experience with a situation like this? I want to send one more note with a courteous reply that the show stand was not listed and was not part of the sale. But should I do anything else?

I guess I'm also disappointed that he apparently does not recognize that what he did get was very carefully packed and included so many small additional items, things that a C&V kind of person would appreciate!

Thanks - Jim