View Single Post
Old 07-16-12, 09:26 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Cannondal CAAD8; custom build carbon HT 29er.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Personally, I'd do all of the above. Keep hitting craigslist, ebay and the marketplace here. Continually check on current deals from your favorite online and B&M stores. I don't think you would have any issues at all with some stuff that is "slightly older". My Ultegra 6500 is still going strong and it's....ummm...something like 10 years old. But then again, I take care of my stuff.

If your not too familiar with online sites, I've had great luck with Universal Cycles (.com) and PricePoint (total personal opinion of course, lot's of people have had great luck with other places). Your local bike shop might also be an invaluable asset, so if they're worth anything, buy some stuff there too...even if it's on sale. Once they know your face, you may be able to score some deals along the way without seeming like your intentionally doing it. Also, local shops are great for the small parts you'll need for your build. With all my builds, I just decide what I want to focus on that month and set aside the money for it...then I will spend some time to either find it used or if I can't, I'll shop around heavily until I can find it at a good price.

Also, depending on how much stuff you have accumulated, be "in the business" of trading...I just got a great set of bars from a guy here in trade for a saddle. We both got what we want/need and all it cost was some shipping. It doesn't have to be bike for bike...we all have different hobbies.

Finally...did you say $50??!!! That's a great score! Those aren't bad frames at all...some may malign you for riding Performance's "in-house brand" but the fact is, those frames have a lot of different names on them.

Good luck!