Old 07-16-12, 11:58 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just got there and I can tell you that it is great.

Finance is a worry and since 2007 it has been a big worry but I planned to have no debts when I did retire and that worked fine. Own my own House and the car is paid for and no other debts whatsoever. Also managed to get enough money aside to pay for any major items like the boiler going bang or house repairs so Just a reduced income from pensions but no money problems.

But I am a keen gardener and that has seen some major maintenance in the last 3 months. Unfortunately the weather has not been good this year but what is a little bit of rain and wind when you are enjoying yourself (Well-- a lot of rain and fair amount of wind) Physically that has kept me busy and has been enjoyable. Cycling has not gone as good as I wanted -due to the weather again- but that will be increasing soon. In preparation for that- I got N+1 in february as the other road bikes are 6 years old now. Haven't ridden much this month but I no longer use a car for any ride up to 10 miles. Have a beater for local shopping and if it can fit in the pockets or a small knapsack- then the bike is used. That at least has kept milage up but not effort.

Incidentally- Two of us retired on the same day from work. The other one had no hobbies was one of the moaners that finds fault in everything. Wonder how he is getting along-- not really as I couldn't stand the bloke.

Think the art of a good retirement is to keep busy. Providing you have the finances to allow a worry free existence- then no problems. Don't look for an easy life if you have always been active. Only thing is if I knew how hard it was going to be- I would have chosen something else to do.

Spike Milligan