View Single Post
Old 07-17-12, 01:53 PM
kleonin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to introduce myself... My name is Keith and I'm a Right-Leg Above the Knee Amputee (RAKA). Lost my leg over 30 years ago, when I was 15, to osteo sarcoma (bone cancer). I've been looking to increase my cardio so I bought a handcycle (Freedom Ryder LC-1) about 3 months ago and I've been riding it consistently about 3-4 times/week. It's a lean-steer (you turn with your body, like skiing) and it's been a great workout (arms, chest, stomach, sides, lower back). I'm happy with my handcycle, but I am always curious to see what adaptations may exist with a "regular" bike.

My apprehensions (as a RAKA) with a regular bike:

1) How do I pedal on my right side? I don't have the muscle to bring up the right pedal from its lowest position to its apex unless I power through with my left leg and have the momentum carry me through. That becomes tiring pretty fast for my left leg (esp. the quads)

2) I can't always guarantee that I will lean left when coming to a full stop. If I accidentally lean right, I would have to hope that my prosthetic knee locks; otherwise, I'm on the ground.

I'll be scouring the threads for options, but I'm willing to listen to everyone's opinions.

On that note, hello everyone!!!

Last edited by kleonin; 07-17-12 at 01:58 PM.