TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,657 Posts
Critique my wheelbuild

I want some advice on some wheels that I'm trying to build.

Background:

Track newbie here. Cat3 crit rider on the road, 145-155 lbs depending on time of year/amount of beer drinking. I'm generally hard on my equipment for a guy my size. I consider myself a decent sprinter on the road and excel in slight inclines/headwinds. Having said that I've learned through recent experience that I am not even close to a real sprinter on the track and get blown out of the water in like a flying 200 by those linebacker lookin' mofos

My intention for this wheelset is to use them as my go-to track wheels. These wheels will be ridden on the track only and will see no street use except possibly from my car to the track on the sidewalk unless I decide thats a bad idea. They will be used primarily for mass-start endurance races like points and scratch.

Idea: Low-profile, tubular, highish spoke count, nice loose ball hubs.

Rims: Velocity Escape 32H
Nipples: Brass
Spokes: Straight gauge stainless spokes
Hubs: Dura Ace high-flange 32H
Tires: ?

Please criticize my ideas and offer component suggestions. Additionally I am looking for tire suggestions as well, something that has a nice compromise between durability and speed.

Thanks

added in edit: the velodrome will mostly be the outdoor concrete san diego velodrome