View Single Post
Old 07-18-12, 04:31 PM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
First off, thank you to everyone for your input - you all make very good points!

I actually might've found a place in Portland that will build around the Troll frame. They seem to be a comprehensive shop that can probably offer lots of options for both new and used components. I'm looking for an ultra-practical/reliable build, so am absolutely open to getting used parts that are in decent conditions, especially those that aren't immobile and not mechanical (seatpost, handlebars, stem, etc.). I think they might be able to build very close to my ideal for about the same price as the Troll - complete bike:

http://www.joe-bike.com/cargo-bikes/...roll-frameset/

Originally Posted by positron
besides the simplicity of disk brakes and not wearing out your rims every time you slow down.... I build my own wheels at home and I still dont want to deal with that wear if I don't have to.

not true: any "rim brake" rim can be used to build a wheel on a disk hub. Viola: dual purpose rim. Just dont use a rimless "disk rim"

I have both Brake types on various bikes (in addition to centerpulls and sidepulls), they both work just fine. Again: non-issue.
Originally Posted by digibud
the above post makes a good point about using a disc 'till you go on tour, and then switching to rim if you wish. I would add...personally I would never tour with disc brakes. Commute...sure...but I loathe them when they get dirty and squeal and unless you get BB7 or others that can be adjusted on both sides I find them a serious pain to adjust. They are critical for winter use but in my experience that's about it. A tweaked rotor is a huge PITA and not easily straightened without three adjustable wrenches. If you go with disc, I would agree that cable discs are the ONLY option unless your touring is strictly U.S. based where bike shops or supplies can be reached easily since bleeding/refilling is more complex than a simple cable readjustment.
Again, very good points! I'm ambivalent about discs; while I like the idea that they greatly extent the life of rims, I'm partial towards absolute simplicity, esp for touring. I know mechanical discs are pretty simple, but I always remember Murphy's law. I'll definitely discuss it with the shop.

Thanks again!