View Single Post
Old 07-19-12, 08:08 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Originally Posted by due ruote View Post
I used to see a local HS kid commuting on a nicely preserved orange Schwinn Voyageur and had similar thoughts. Then I thought maybe it was presumptuous of me to assume he didn't appreciate the bike, or at least that he wouldn't one day come to appreciate it.
Last summer I saw a high school aged kid riding with his friends on newer mountain bikes- he had a glowingly beautiful chromed Voyageur. That bike totally looked like the odd man out- horizontal top tube and all. So, either the kid was riding dad's bike, unashamedly; or he knew what he had and was rockin' it.

Also last summer... the campus my work is on is split by a 'rails to trails' bike path- I was crossing the path and a gaggle of kids passed by- I was struck that a bunch of them were old Treks. Like, seat-tube logo Treks.

I might have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for these blasted kids and their dog.

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.