Old 07-19-12, 09:28 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike gained 3/4lbs of rotating weight today, LOL...

When I went tubeless, I was using tires that were a year old. I finally tore a hole in the sidewall on one, so I figured I'd get new ones. I had those Nevegals laying around, but they aren't my first choice. There's so many rocks up here (like the one that tore my last tire) that I decided to go a little thicker and get UST tires.

I read that some people have problems using UST tires on standard rims, but the Stan's setup with UST tires on the DT EX5.1d rims is supposed to work well, so I had very little inhibitions. The DT EX bead seat is profiled to accept a UST really nicely, so I used a Stan's rim strip and some sealant.

I'm really gonna like these I think. They sealed up so daggum easily!! They are 2.35" Excavators like I used to run a long time ago. (my favorite tire for super-traction) I can't even imagine how devastating these tires will bite at 30psi instead of the 40 that I used to have to run with tubes. I actually got these tires 1/2 price to boot, so I can't complain there. I got them cheaper than when I was sponsored on the rider support program.

Also...since I'm using UST...I can run a little lower pressures than my non-UST tubeless setup b/c of the extra support. I'm pretty excited to get these out on the trail.