Old 07-20-12, 09:59 AM
scrublover
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Bikes: hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found with my ghetto tubeless and UST setups that I actually drop weight, even thought the UST tire is heavier. Particularly with a Stans or Mavic UST rim, because you don't need near as much tape or sealant to get things to seal up.

I tend to not really run much less pressure, but am able to run narrower tires at around 30-34psi, not pinch flat, and roll faster than the previous wider meats. The big deal for around here is not pinch flatting - not having to run stupid heavy DH tires or crazy high pressures to avoid pinch flatting. I've slammed my UST stuff into rocks and roots that would have pinched my tubed setups, and never had a problem doing so.

Win-win.

I'm also sticking with full UST tires, at least for the back. All the "tubeless ready" tires I've tired have thinner sidewalls, and have all managed to be torn in fairly short amounts of time. Am leery of doing the ghetto setup on the front, and having issues. Only one UST front at the moment - 2.5 Minion DHF 3c EXO on a Stans Flow rim - working beautifully. The other fronts are all still tubes. When a rim dies, it gets swapped for a tubeless variety. One currently being rebuilt with a Stans Arch. If I roll a tire off the back, it's not nearly as scary as the front...

Ardent 2.25 on the RX, Speci Ground Control on the TX, Speci Captain on the Chromag, Panaracer Fire XC Pro on the TransAM. All UST, and all setup super easy. Didn't even need sealant to get any of them to hold air. Just put some in to deal with punctures. This is on a mix of two Stans rims, one XM819 UST rim, and one XC717 with the ghetto setup. They have all been working great.

Only issues since swapping to the real stuff vs. ghetto has been tearing a hole in a tire too big to seal up (twice now) which would kill a tubed setup as well. Stopped, put a tube in, kept riding. No worse than before.

Anyhow, ramblingly long - it's dumping rain today, and I'm putting off making the weekly grocery run.