Old 07-21-12, 02:09 PM
nonlinear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Questions about using old Trek 6000 MTN bike as a commuter

I have a Trek 6000 mountain bike from the late 1990s. I was planning to use it as a commuter beginning in late August and through the winter, until I get a new bike in the spring. (Ideally, I would get a new bike in August, but I've heard that's off-season for bikes, and I don't want to be stuck buying a "left over" bike.) The bike had been sitting for a few years, and I think it will need some work to get it in shape for commuting.

The bike has gas shocks on the front - do these need to be refilled? I don't think they can be locked out, so i'm kind of stuck with the gas shocks which I would rather not have as I don't think it's the best for commuting on city streets.

I also need new tires. The tires currently on the bike are original from the late 90s. I filled them up a couple of days ago, but didn't have a pressure gauge and overfilled them. today, I noticed that one of the tires had actually popped and blew out the sidewall. I can see the same thing happening on the other tire. I am thinking of putting road tires on the bike, is that possible?

So, I guess my main question is this: is it worth trying to use this mountain bike as a road commuter, considering I need a tune up, new tires, refill the gas shock (?)? Or, should I try and buy a new bike out of season?