View Single Post
Old 07-22-12, 09:50 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
A car hit me over the weekend. My helmet is crushed. Two paramedics and an emergency room doctor told me that my helmet saved my life.

These are facts, deal with them however you like. But don't ever pretend that a helmet cannot save your life.
No one is claiming that a helmet cannot save your life. Only that it isn't very likely to, especially in a car vs. bike scenario.

Did you ask the doctor and medics how much training they had in ascertaining the effectiveness of bicycle helmets? If they're like almost all doctors and medics, they haven't had any at all. As I've noted more than once, in my paramedic days I told several people they had had their lives saved by their helmets, because it's kind of a cool thing to say and gives everyone a little shiver. Never mind that I had no training in the area of helmet effectiveness and had absolutely no idea whether the helmets had done anything helpful at all.

I just wonder if any of those people ended up on the internet, breathlessly telling about the paramedic who claimed their helmets saved their lives...