Old 07-25-12, 05:32 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Bikes: Lots. Just...lots.

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 412 Posts
Got your PM and also read through this thread. First off, I have zero experience with KHT's, so cannot comment there. However, I have a great deal of experience with many Cannondale ST's, particularly those from the mid to late 80's.

If the Cannondale frame is the correct size for your height and stance, in my opinion (please note some bias above) it would make an excellent touring rig. I've put many miles on ST bikes and to me, they are very comfortable. I've never experienced the harsh ride that some others have talked about. For comparison, I also own and ride a number of steel bikes including several Eddy Merckx models.

Botom line is, if the bike fits you and speaks to your soul, buy it and have fun. '87 is my favorite year for ST's as the fork included front pannier racks and the factory did a much better job of smoothing out the welds than in the 83-84-85 model years. I've put that combination of wheelset and Rando 32's on several customer bkes in the past year or so, and every one has been pleased with the results (one guy picked his up, took it home, loaded it with bags and rode across the US). The top tube cable guides are an issue, so be very careful with them as they cannot be replaced. Looks to me like at least two out of the three are OK, but after 25 years they become very brittle. Jagwire makes a hydraulic cable mount that uses a zip tie and adhesive backing- it works but is not as elegant.

Let us know what you choose to do.