Old 07-26-12, 12:56 AM
LeeRoySD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best method for smoothing stroke at higher cadences?

I have been riding/racing for several months now at the velodrome. This is my first year riding and my stroke is still really choppy at higher cadences... My fitter suggested rollers and I have just started using them. I feel pretty smooth up to about 90 RPM - 105 is a little bouncy - 120 is really rough - 130 and I am giving myself a pretty hard spanking...

My question about using the rollers to smooth things out...

Should I...

(A) ride at primarily 90-95 (the top end of my "reasonably smooth" range) until this gets really smooth?

(B) ride at primarily at 105-110 until the bounce starts to go away?

(C) Build up to whatever causes the bounce and then back off to a "smooth" RPM take a few breaths and increase again... then repeat over and over again?

(D) Something else entirely?

Thanks for the help... I am sure that all of these will help. I just want some advice on how to maximize my return/time spent (in terms of smoothness gained) from someone who has gone through or helped others through this.

FYI: My seat height seems to be pretty good. Any lower and my knees are banging my chest when in the drops, any higher and the tendons in the back of my right knee get a little tweaky from being too close to straight-legged at the bottom of the stroke. I also ride a couple hundred miles a week on the road bike and/or stationary trainer if this matters. Road cranks are 172.5/Track are 167.5. Position on both bikes is similar (just a touch more saddle to bar drop but similar reach). Same shoes and pedals...