Old 07-26-12, 12:09 PM
EBikeFL 

Bikes: 2012 Kona Lanai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome, kd5ete. Well, it looks like we have an equal number of front wheel and rear wheel 48v 1000w Papamotor users now. I've been considering building another e-bike as well with similar increases in speed (40-45 mph). If you plan on going that fast you may want to consider getting a front fairing. It makes a big difference.

Working with the Papamotor engineers it appears that my controller is the problem and not my thumb throttle. I really didn't want to switch out the thumb throttle so I'm some what glad it's the controller. Papamotor is shipping me a new controller and I will send the broken one back for their analysis. I've had to use my car in the meantime.

The problems with the various rear tires feeling slippery weren't problems with the tires at all. It appears the spokes on the rear rim had started to loosen...some were very loose. I've since tightened them up and done my best to true the rear rim at the same time. You may want to keep an eye on the hub motor spokes as you put more mileage on the kit.

I purchased the Jandd Grocery Bag Pannier (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00) about a month ago but didn't realize that my cargo cache would interfere with its attachment to the bike rack. I've come up with a solution to get it to fit and will have pictures up soon.

The modifications to the top half of the cargo cache to hold the controller finally worked. My first attempt I didn't mix the two part epoxy very well and the parts meant to stay attached to the top of the cargo cache fell off. I made sure to mix the epoxy the second time around and it worked. The controller is very happy and out of the way of the Ping battery now.

Here's a picture of the top of the cargo cache with the mods:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CargoCacheCoverWithMods.jpg (99.9 KB, 36 views)
Soylent Green is People!