Old 07-28-12, 10:00 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Yeah? O_o

So would you lube the clamp area on drop bars?

And can someone explain how this might be so?
IMO he's wrong about greasing lowering the clamping force required, (tho opposite is true) but right in that ungreased posts will creak while greased ones won't.

With flex, there's some slight sliding of the post within the tube (same with quill stems) as it flexes, it's kind of like wearing shoes without socks. The movement causes creaking. Grease prevents the creak, but not the movement itself.

Often to get good hold on a slipping post, I'll wipe the post and tube dry, then apply grease to the tube below the clamping zone, and spread it as I push the post down (being careful not to pull it back up). That gives me the higher traction of dry clamping, while preventing corrosion or creaking deeper down. It's a bit of a nuisance so I save it for only when I need to, usually on steel or Ti frames with the ears welded directly to the tube without reinforcement. These can crack fairly easily if torqued down hard, destroying a frame. On frames with replaceable collars, it's less of a worry since all you can lose is a low cost collar.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 07-28-12 at 10:05 AM.