Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
We've all got 'em. And by all accounts, it looks like our Neanderthal ancestors were nicer than we are. They were stronger and probably just as bright as the cro - magnons, so were probably squeezed out because they were less aggressive. I'm pretty much all cro - magnon, I'm afraid.

Bruce, I'm curious why you bothered. Just interested?
23 and Me is a local startup company. 23 and Me generates or determines ones "complete" genome from a sample of saliva. They have technology platforms that search the clients' genomes looking for genes and sequences that studies have implicated determine human traits from ancestry to disease susceptibility, treatment, resistivity to disease, behavior, intelligence and etc.

My wife and I purchased the service about 4 years ago. We thought it was a very interesting topic and wanted to learn more about it and about ourselves. The 23 and me database of studies and reports is excellent and I have learned a lot plus it is intellectually stimulating. Also as reports become available, outside of 23 and me linking genes to whatever, we can look at our genome (raw data is available) and determine (on our own) if it is applicable. And there is some genetic athletic performance available that is relevant and interesting.

I would pose the question the other way. Why would one not want to learn more about one of the most important areas of research that may affect our health, quality of life and longevity?

Last edited by Hermes; 07-30-12 at 12:12 PM.