View Single Post
Old 07-31-12, 10:40 AM
Wolfwerx

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour (x2), '83 Bianchi, '96 Trek 820, '96 Trek 470, '99 Xmart Squishy Bike, '03 Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First, congrats on finishing your century ride. Second, it was probably over-reaching on your part to go for it.
Originally Posted by slowride454
It just feels like I'm throwing good money after bad on this whole biking thing.
No offense intended at all, but maybe you could just slow down and get some miles under your saddle? 500 miles is just barely breaking in the wheels, IMO.

Going from 0 to 40, 50, 100 mile rides is a good recipe for an over-use injury, if you're not careful. I'm assuming that you're not in tip-top physical shape (I apologize for making an assumption, but the odds are with me, between what you said in the first post, and the fact that you're posting in this particular forum), you would be well-served to build up a good base of miles and add to it in reasonable increments.

Originally Posted by slowride454
the bike fitter suggested I look for a new frame. The shop he works out of might have something. I'm just not sure. Some carbon frames can be just as stiff if not stiffer than aluminum. It just feels like I'm throwing good money after bad on this whole biking thing. By the time I get a new frame, new fork, new wheels, new seat post, compact chain rings, new cassette, new RD... I'll have a big pile of parts and have spent more than a new bike would cost.
If you decide to go with a carbon frame, you could move your components over from the Nashbar frame to save you some money while you decide if it's worthwhile, or not.