Old 08-02-12, 06:08 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
Massive price increase? Not really. Adjusted for inflation, if anything, bike prices have gone down. Modern racing bikes have much more costly shifter mechanisms (so called STI).

The Peloton was one of the top Schwinn models in 1986.

There have been pretty significant improvements in drivetrain: wheels, shifters, brakes in particular.

Building up a vintage steel frame with a modern drivetrain, can be very costly. I've done it many times, and I will do it again I am sure. But you need to be very resourceful, or the cost gets really high.

Vintage frames are relatively affordable, even the nice ones. Its the drivetrain that will cost the $$$, particularly if you want something towards the upper end.

As far as building up the 1986 Peloton, I have a very similar bike, a Panasonic built 1987 Schwinn Prologue (Panasonic built the Peloton for Schwinn as well). Mine is currently built up with modern, mainly Dura Ace, drivetrain. I lucked out and picked up a crate of modern Dura Ace components (two complete bikes worth) at a garage sale, which made the upgrade possible for this thrifty guy.

Or my Panasonic built, 1992 Schwinn Paramount Series 5, rebuilt with a mix of Ultegra/600 STI

Last edited by wrk101; 08-02-12 at 06:19 AM.