Old 08-02-12, 07:40 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, Rocky Mountain Cardiac

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 31 Posts
A new well bought <$1000 aluminum bike will ride better and be lighter than any older steel bike.
Really? I have owned, built and ridden steel, alloy and carbon (well - just rode one carbon). Steel offers a much nicer ride that alloy and the jury is still out on the one and only carbon bike I have ridden. Put to a poll, my guess is that forum members would opt for lugged steel, long before aluminum. Just my opinion, of course.

As for the price of old road bikes...

The prices have exploded, in the past few years. wrk101 is bang on the money with the consideration of inflation, however; old bikes that were Dump fodder, only a few years ago, are now selling for considerable sums. And the reason for this is easy to figure out...

Supply (diminishing - there will never be more vintage bikes than there are right now) and Demand (increasing - more and more people are becoming interested in buying/building/owning a vintage bicycle) = price increase.

As for upgrading an older road bike, using New School components? Yes, this can become expensive and very quickly, I might add. That said, the result is very rewarding, both in appearance (opinion) and ride quality, if "user friendliness" is the concern.