Old 08-02-12, 09:27 AM
gomango 

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
I'm with Bill and Aaron on this;

EVERY time I build an older frame up with newer stuff, no matter how cheap I get the newer stuff,
I always am shocked on what I have spent. Of course I have a bike, just the way I want it. With just the stuff I like on it.
But it never comes out to be a super deal. Nor a deal as good as I can find on a complete bike. lol...I will still change stuff on the complete bike so maybe it's close.

I think there are some great deals out there, but I have become a bike snob. So for me to buy a new to me bike now, it's got to be something very nice.
Here's a number to chew on folks.

$3,500 or so for my Sachs cyclocross project when all is said and done.

Frameset $1,000
Refinish about $700
A nice 10 speed Chorus gruppo was $550 on our local CL
HED/Record wheelset $450
Challenge tires $150
Used Enve bars/stem $200
Red Regal Saddle $125
Jagwire cable set $40
Kool stops $30
My buddy will build it for me at a local shop. He's one of the better racing mechanics in the area, a heck of a cross rider and a nice guy once you get to know him. Cost? A case of beer and probably $150.

Keep in mind that I got a great price on the frameset from a friend. He threw in a Record headset and a Chorus bottom bracket or I would be paying for those as well.

I am never surprised at the price I pay for these builds. I know going in how to get the best deals and part of the fun for me is putting together the right package.

Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/