Old 08-02-12, 09:50 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
If you really study the build sheet and the prices, a few things stand out on where the money hole occurs:

1. WHEELS. I wasn't likely to find a wheel set exactly like what I wanted, and building it was spendy. The tires are expensive, the spokes are expensive, I had to pay for my LBS to do it. That alone is really giving a hit over wheels from a donor, of course you likely have to add in tires costs there too as well.

2. Extras - the King cages were extravagant and spendy. Paul vs. Tektro is another example...even at good prices, it adds up. Thomson stem is another - I didn't want to use an SR post in a bike like this.

3. The little things! Rim tape, tubes, cables, housings, spokes, brake pads, chain...they add up in a hurry!

Now that the math is done, and all is laid bare, I have about the same into the Vanilla as I had into the Marnati (with a new built for me frame) with far more new parts and 11sp SR! The Vanilla was an in bed, look forward to it, project that piled up price wise in a HURRY. I had the extra gruppo, Brooks, wheels (not the replacement parts) and Paul cantis...so I thought the new costs would be under control. It went high FAST!

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 08-02-12 at 09:54 AM.