Old 08-02-12, 10:05 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake View Post
If you really study the build sheet and the prices, a few things stand out on where the money hole occurs:

1. WHEELS. I wasn't likely to find a wheel set exactly like what I wanted, and building it was spendy. The tires are expensive, the spokes are expensive, I had to pay for my LBS to do it. That alone is really giving a hit over wheels from a donor, of course you likely have to add in tires costs there too as well.

2. Extras - the King cages were extravagant and spendy. Paul vs. Tektro is another example...even at good prices, it adds up. Thomson stem is another - I didn't want to use an SR post in a bike like this.

3. The little things! Rim tape, tubes, cables, housings, spokes, brake pads, chain...they add up in a hurry!

Now that the math is done, and all is laid bare, I have about the same into the Vanilla as I had into the Marnati (with a new built for me frame) with far more new parts and 11sp SR! The Vanilla was an in bed, look forward to it, project that piled up price wise in a HURRY. I had the extra gruppo, Brooks, wheels (not the replacement parts) and Paul cantis...so I thought the new costs would be under control. It went high FAST!
+1

Nobody can buy parts to built a wheelset out of parts anywhere near where a machine-built wheelset can be found at.

Things like rimstraps and other little details are often overlooked as well and add up. If one has to pay labor to have the wheel built it makes it even higher by a significant amount.

Even though I built my own wheels and got a good deal on spokes from Lee I spent more on the wheelset on my Raleigh than many decent mid-ranged bikes cost at bikesdirect.com

Add in rims, hubs, spokes, nipples, rim-straps, tubes, tires, cassettes, skewers and we are talking big money already.