View Single Post
Old 08-05-12, 04:32 PM
Werkin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lungimsam
...I really like it alot. The most comfortable road-ish bike I have ever sat on...the lack of selection with and without puncture resistance.

They should have a 650b forum on here...makes me wonder if it is going by the wayside.
If you want iron clad puncture resistance, comfort suffers. 650b wide tire/low pressure construction in most high mileage models allow the tire to be puncture and cut resistant without non-resiliant armor.

Not going by the wayside at all, new 650b wheels for mountain bikes are a-plenty this coming year.

Originally Posted by ironwood
There is a 650b thread on the Classic and Vintage forum...
Why should the 650b genre be relegated to vintage era discussions? I have a modern bike with 650b wheels, and if the public is allowed to think forward rather than be saddled with conventions of the past, demand/desire will drive future markets.

Currently most interested 650b users think the only appropriate brakes are inadequately effective cantilevers (V-brakes are better), or poor leverage long reach rim brake options. I believe disc brakes are superior in every way, and rim & tire options increase.

650b wheels and tires don't automatically force one to choose "comfort" geometries, utilitarian cargo carrying frame features, poorly accessible down-tube shifters, or less than optimum bar-end levers, the appearance of which classic & vintage sterotypes are made of.